Sunday, August 14, 2005

9/11 Rescuer Recalls Fear and Faith - New York Times

An individual's compelling account of her 9/11 experience...
9/11 Rescuer Recalls Fear and Faith - New York Times: "A huge cloud of ash came whipping around the corner of a building in Lower Manhattan, swallowing first the daylight and then her. When the dust cloud had her in its suffocating grip, it lifted her off the ground and threw her down, where she lay until fear compelled her once more to her feet and darkness engulfed her once again.

'At this point I laid down and I started saying my prayers,' said the woman, an emergency medical technician named Renae O'Carroll who was responding to the attack at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, when she became lost in a perilous hail of debris. She saw 'big bolts of fire, fire balls' and then a bright light she accepted as a beacon of the afterlife. 'I said to myself at the moment: 'I guess this is the light, I guess this is my time.' I felt it was opening up and it was my time to go.'"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis