Monday, August 14, 2006

NPR : Seeing in Beautiful, Precise Pictures

NPR : Seeing in Beautiful, Precise Pictures: "Morning Edition, August 14, 2006 · Because I have autism, I live by concrete rules instead of abstract beliefs. And because I have autism, I think in pictures and sounds. I don't have the ability to process abstract thought the way that you do. Here's how my brain works: It's like the search engine Google for images. If you say the word 'love' to me, I'll surf the Internet inside my brain. Then, a series of images pops into my head. What I'll see, for example, is a picture of a mother horse with a foal, or I think of 'Herbie the Lovebug,' scenes from the movie Love Story or the Beatles song, 'Love, love, love...'"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More and more adults with autism are voicing their opinions these days, and a common thread is that they wouldn't want to give up their brains (the way their brains work) to be "normal". Some resent intensive training programs which are commonly used these days to rectify undesireable behaviors in kids with autism. Our autistic 7 year old girl will always be different, has her quirky behaviors, is very perceptive, is happy, and loves life. While I still worry about what her future holds, I am grateful that she seems to find her own life (most of the time) a happy and fulfilling experience.
S. A.

hdhindsa said...

S.A., thank you for sharing your insights. May God continue to bless her and your family...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis