Sunday, March 16, 2008

How a Blind Man Will Lead a State

Interesting comments follow the article as well...

In a few days, New York will have a new governor who also happens to be legally blind.

For people with sight, it’s hard to imagine how a person who is blind copes with day-to-day living, let alone the challenges of running a state. But over the years, in various interviews, Lt. Gov. David A. Paterson has given us glimpses into how he has managed his education and career in politics without sight.
(..)
Mr. Paterson also shared interesting insights into how people with disabilities are treated if they appear to be coping well.

My truest disability has been my ability to overcome my physical disability. So in other words, as soon as people see that I can be independent, then they hold me to the standard that everyone else is.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis