Wednesday, June 01, 2011

A Flying Eye Hospital Raises Security Eyebrows

A great interview of my good friend Hunter Cherwek, Medical Director of Orbis, on the travails of international travel.
Uvealblues


I NEVER thought that I’d be traveling as much as I do. But I’m flying almost constantly. It’s an exhausting, yet rewarding lifestyle.

When I fly back to the United States, I tell my family to give me an extra hour to get through customs and security.
Because of all the stamps on my passports, especially from places like Vietnam, Syria and Myanmar, which are some of my favorite countries, it sometimes takes a while to explain to border agents that I’m a doctor returning from an Orbis program.
How I get from one country to another always raises questions since I could fly into a country on a commercial flight, but fly out privately on the Orbis Flying Eye Hospital. That raises eyebrows with immigration officers in all countries.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis