Saturday, March 19, 2005

Back in Jos

Devin and I made the four hour ride back to Jos today without incident... Gave out plastic bags of water to the policemen at the roadchecks. They were very appreciative as it is quite hot here!

Had a great time at ECWA eye hospital in Kano the past two days. Saw alot of interesting pathology. I will post about this later with pictures. I even got in two scleral buckles. Unfortunately the cryo unit wasn't working so I don't know what the eventual success will be. I am bringing it back to the States for repair. One of my patients was an albino. I also had an albino with a retinal detachment last year in Kano. If anyone knows of any condition in which albinism is associted with retinal detachment, please let me know.

The cataract patients are so grateful that they can see. One patient who has been blind (count fingers vision) fell to his knees in prayer in front of the entire team (about 8 of us). Saw another huge tumor in a 20 year old.

In discussions with various people here about how to improve healthcare in Nigeria, the number one answer is to decrease the corruption. However, no one has any ideas, or even hope, it seems in this vein. Apparently it is quite frequent for strikes to occur at the general hospitals, even by the doctors. The patients are left to die....It is quite sad.
But at the same time there are people and doctors who are incredibly devoted to the patients, which gives some sense of hope.

Devin and Laurie continue to be wonderful hosts...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis