Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wild on the Nile in Uganda


It is hard to blog about this article..because I was almost doing this exact thing!--rafting down the nile with the individuals mentioned here--the "Adrift" guides, Josh and Jeffrey. I spent a month in Uganda last August, with 5 friends. We did much of the adventurous activities mentioned here--safaris, gorilla trekking, the monkey forest, hanging out in the Sesse Islands.
I was all set to go down the Nile with my friends, when I got a call from my wife back home the night before nixing the rafting trip. (She was greatly influenced by two other very close friends--you know who you are).
I was able to transfer my ticket to a friend and I spent the day on the Nile playing with the local kids and documenting my friends trip, instead of experiencing the thrill of level 5 and 6 rapids...
But I do agree with the author, Uganda, is an incredible country!
uvealblues


WHEN I showed up to go white-water rafting in Uganda, Josh, the Canadian rafting guide who stood barefoot in board shorts and looked like a hardier, hairier version of Brad Pitt, greeted me with a simple question: Wild or mild?

My advice, if you’re ever going to do this, is to choose wisely. Because the next thing I knew, I was upside down in an infuriated patch of the Nile River, a ceiling of white water above me, all those tranquil birds and flowers along the banks a violently disappeared memory and Josh screaming, “Dude! Watch out for the rocks!”

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis