Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Father's Day and Mortality

Two articles from the New York Times really resonated for me last week, in light of the fact that my Dad suffered a stroke (thankfully a minor one) last week.
The first article deals with end of life issues in our current healthcare milieu: What Broke My Father's Heart
and the other is from Nicholas Kristof,--My Father's Gift to Me--whose father recently died.
He describes the toughness of the immigrant mentality, which resonated for me, as my father also suffered a number of trials, including losing his father at a young age, and a number of difficulties in  coming out of a small Indian village without electicity or plumbing to America, and eventually getting a prestigious job at the National Institutes of Health.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis