Monday, January 07, 2008

Street Smarts in Bangkok


This article sure brings back great, mouth-watering memories of are many trips to Thailand. If our next vacation,to Myanmar, goes as planned, we will be enjoying similar cuisine. (I am not holding my breath though as my last two trips, Kenya and Cambodia, have both been cancelled). BTW there is a great slide show on the sidebar of the article, capturing the beauty of the food and culture in downtown Bangkok...

A decade ago, when I first moved to Bangkok, a friend who had emigrated there long before me let me in on a secret: the best food in Thailand is served by street vendors and at basic mom-and-pop restaurants. To prove his point, he dragged me to Chote Chitr, tucked into a side alley and decorated with nothing but a wall calendar. I saw no foreigners, and we pored through a menu all in Thai. We sampled the specialties, and I was quickly convinced, eating the same dishes then that I would enjoy 10 years later, and dozens of times in between.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis