Monday, March 17, 2014

Malcolm Gladwell: Tell People What It's Really Like To Be A Doctor

When I asked Gladwell what topics he thought I should cover in future Forbes blogs, he said, “Help people understand what it is really like to be a physician.”
I did not see that coming. I figured he’d request an expose on Big Pharma, an in-depth examination of various medical conditions or a portrait of preventive care. But explaining what it’s really like to be doctor is a much more personal request and, as it turned out, much more challenging.
(..)
He also expressed concerns about the economics of medical practice and the consequences for physicians:
“I don’t understand, given the constraints physicians have in doing their job and the paperwork demanded of them, why people want to be physicians. I think we’ve made it very, very difficult for them to perform their job. I think that’s a shame. My principal concern is the amount of time and attention spent worrying about the business side. You don’t train someone for all of those years of medical school and residency, particularly people who want to help others optimize their physical and psychological health, and then have them run a claims-processing operation for insurance companies.”
It’s this side of medical practice that wears down even the best physicians.
(..)
And in 2012, a study found that 9 out of 10 physicians across the country are unwilling to recommend the profession to others.
Where Does That Leave The Future Of Medical Practice?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis